The AlbacMat is an emergency rescue and evacuation aid, which enables individuals with physical or mobility impairments to be quickly and safely moved to a point of safety in emergency situations. Primarily used in settings such as in care homes, hospitals, schools, hotels and other public and private buildings. AlbacMats can also be used in confined spaces such as on aeroplanes or trains and can easily be carried by emergency rescue vehicles, due to its light-weight, compact design.
The AlbacMat has a "flexible stretcher" type construction consisting of a lightweight supported vinyl sheet bonded to a polycarbonate flexible base board. Other features include, three cross straps for securing the patient/service user, a foot pocket, a thermal cover, a long pulling handle at the head end, a short positioning handle at the foot end and 6 positioning handles (three on each side) allowing for multiple rescuer contact.
The AlbacMat comes in two sizes, standard or large and is suitable for use with both children and adults, as different methods of securing the cross can be used to enable this. The large size is approximately 30 cm wider than the standard (at the torso area), which enables the mat to accommodate extra bedding which can act as further padding for very elderly or fragile users.
The AlbacMat is self-contained within its own highly visible storage bag, which has easy to follow pictorial instructions on the front and can be wall mounted ready for immediate use or stored in a cupboard with other emergency supplies - the packed dimensions of the AlbacMat are 38cm x 20cm x 18cm meaning it takes up very little space.
In an emergency the AlbacMat is easily taken to the individual to be evacuated and released from within its storage bag, by pulling the blue velcro fastening and simply "throwing" the mat out. The AlbacMat is then laid out beside the individual ready for them to be transferred on to the device - this can performed from a bed, floor, chair or wheelchair.
Once the transfer has been performed, ensuring that his/her feet are resting in the foot pocket - to prevent him/her from slipping down inside the mat when being moved down flights of stairs, the foil blanket can be used to cover the individual and the florescent yellow velcro straps fastened up securing him/her on mat - various methods can be used. The Individual is then ready to be towed to a point of safety.
The AlbacMat has a polypropylene base which absorbs bumps while in transit and enables it to move easily over most surfaces, allowing it to be manoeuvred in a controllable manner which is less strenuous for the handlers.
A wall mountable holder is available for the storage of four AlbacMats and accommodates both size of AlbacMat. A "full" holder can easily be carried by one person and taken to individuals in need of assistance in an emergency.
The AlbacMat has been break force tested to a weight of 500kg (78 stone). However, it is not recommended for use with a bariatric individual due to the physical mass of a person of this size, it would be impossible for a bariatric person to fit comfortably into the AlbacMat for safe evacuation.
The AlbacMat does not have enough long pulling handles to enable the required amount of handlers to safely move a very large individual, while being able to adopt a correct safe working posture, therefore handlers would be at risk of injury themselves.
It is strongly recommend that the AlbacMat is not used for individuals over 160kg (25 stone).
It is advisable that a minimum of two designated personnel handle the AlbacMat. To reduce the risk of injury to staff, the maximum weight being pulled should not be more than that of the combined weight of the handlers - as a general rule the safe working load for two handlers is 120kg.
Each individual, who would require assistance during an evacuation, should have their own handling plan (PEEPS) and this should be considered and equipment assessed in line with that plan prior to any use.
As a general rule, an AlbacMat that has been used for staff training or for partial evacuation within a building (between internal fire safety zones) may need cleaning if it becomes dirty.
If cleaning does become necessary, this can be done by hosing down the unit or wiping with a damp cloth and then towel drying to remove the excess water before air drying. Disinfectants and antibacterial wipes may be used, although undiluted chemicals are not recommended. Only once the AlbacMat is completely dry should it be stored away.
If bodily fluids have leaked onto the webbing straps it is recommended that the AlbacMat should be replaced, to prevent cross-contamination during future use.
If the AlbacMat is used for a total evacuation and is pulled over road surfaces or gravel, the polypropylene base board may become worn and not fit for use after the evacuation process has been completed. At this point, the AlbacMat has done its intended job and should be replaced by a new AlbacMat in preparation for future emergencies.
After use or washing, visual checks should be made on the stitching, velcro straps, base board and webbing pulling handles. If any damage has occurred the AlbacMat should be replaced.
- Packed size
- 38cm x 20cm x 18cm
- 193cm x 64cm (standard)
- 193cm x 94cm (large)
- Break force tested to
- Recommended load weight
- Not to exceed 160kg
- Recommended safe working load
- 120kg for two handlers
- Polypropylene flexible board 30cm x 176cm
- Sheet material
- Red supported vinyl
- CE marked
- Can an AlbacMat be used in any building?
- Yes - depending on the size and style of stairwells and landings.
- Is the AlbacMat suitable for bariatric individuals?
- Although the AlbacMat has been break force tested to 500kg, it is recommended that the maximum user weight should not exceed 160 kg - please refer to safety instructions above for recommended safe working weights.
- If a very large individual is to be moved, a device such as the Bariatric EvacMat, also available from Spectrum Healthcare, should be considered.
- What happens if the AlbacMat is used in an emergency?
- Once the AlbacMat has been used in an evacuation, if any damage occurs, it is recommended that it should be replaced - see cleaning and care.
- Are AlbacMats ok to use with very elderly or fragile patients?
- For elderly or fragile individuals it is recommended that bedding is used to provide extra padding and protection from bumps, the large AlbacMats wider design will help to accommodate this.
- If the individual is suffering from brittle bones, then evacuation aids such as the ResQmat or the double thickness Ski Pad, also available from Spectrum Healthcare, should be considered as an alternative.
- Does the AlbacMat need maintenance?
- Visual Checks should be made after each use and wash. Should any damage occur to stitching, webbing, Velcro straps, base board or padding it should be replaced.
- It is also recommended that visual check on units that are in storage should occur regularly to ensure that they have not been tampered with in any way.
- Are the AlbacMat and holders supplied with wall fixings?
- No. Due to varying policies on safe, appropriate wall fixing for individual organisations/companies the AlbacMats and holders are not supplied with fixings. However, suitable hooks can be purchased from any DIY store.
- Is the AlbacMat MRI and X-Ray safe?
- The AlbacMat comes complete with a foil blanket sewn into the pocket, which makes it unable for use in X-Ray and MRI areas. However, if the foil blanket is removed it will become suitable as the AlbacMat has no other metal parts.
- What happens if the user's feet are too big to be placed within the foot pocket?
- If the users feet are too big to be placed within the foot pocket it is advised that they are placed in a way that the feet are resting against the opening of foot pocket.
- Are demonstrations available?
- Free product demonstrations are available throughout the UK, Ireland and other distribution countries, subject to prior arrangement and availability of consultants.
- Is there any training available?
- Training packages are available throughout the UK, Ireland and other distribution countries, subject to prior arrangement.
- Training can be conducted as a group session for all staff or as train the trainer sessions for key members of staff, which can then be cascaded down to other staff members by the trained personnel.
Spectrum Healthcare (UK) Ltd 1 Kingsthorpe Business Centre 63 Studland Road Kingsthorpe Northampton NN2 6NE United Kingdom
Tel: +44 (0)1793 762928 Fax: +44 (0)1604 586576 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Spectrum Healthcare (UK) Ltd are committed to protecting your privacy and personal data. We’ll only ask for, and keep data that is adequate and relevant. By using this contact form you are consenting to us using the data required within it to enable us to fulfil your request.
Any information you provide us is stored on servers and filing systems in the UK, controlled and managed by Spectrum Healthcare and securely protected against external digital threats and cyber-crime by our IT Support Specialists Bluemoon Solutions.
We will only use your data for the following reasons:
- To respond to your enquiries/queries
- To send you quotations or relevant product information following the above
- To process orders and training requirement
- To follow up on any of the above
- For billing and accounting purposes
- To contact you occasionally by email, to tell you about products and services provided by us, however you may choose to opt out of these at any time by return email
We do not disclose any personal data to third parties for their own marketing purposes. However, your data may be shared with trusted third parties for the following reasons:
- Some personal data will be shared with training providers, distributors and delivery companies as part of our order fulfilment and shipping process.
- For accounting and VAT purposes
- In cases where we are required by law to pass on information or if we believe action is necessary for fraud, cyber-crime or to protect the website, rights and personal safety of person/s.
Further information for persons outside of the UK
Spectrum Healthcare work with trusted distributors in various territories around the world. As such we may share your information with these parties as part of your enquiry/order fulfilment.